Formerly Badass Horrible Poetry

This isn't just a poetry blog. Let's be honest, a lot of what I post is poetry but there are more often than not also postings about short stories. I do try to keep this blog separate from my others and post strictly creative work here. Some of it will be better than others, and much of it is in first or second draft stage when posted. These are raw works, and there will be spelling and grammar troubles at times because I use this blog to gauge what works and what doesn't. I use it as a place to get feedback. That's the reason it is "horrible". Because it's not finished-- And why should it be? We all want feedback but most of us are too afraid to put ourselves out there.

Welcome to my word.

Wednesday, April 8, 2015

a new odysseus


a new odysseus

high in ithaca
a new odysseus lost
just look to the sky

they married in a barn over an alter of hay and lanterns
while his bride & her groom
cascaded their hips
to pink
there’s a waltz playin frozen in time
uncle dave  tugged me across the room
wheelchair darting
selling me off to a dance partner
a budding seventeen
his nurse
the cropped brown hair and prickly chin
scrambling
back and forth - forth and back
to catch
the grippy plastic wheelchair handles
their eyes locked
& for dave the match was called
love/ love
said, what are you anchored to this old ship for
with a lady like that
waiting on the widows walk?
Dance he said
dave couldn’t remember my name
or that we were related
but that could not stop the romantic in him
amen



a different beat hummed
ten strings thrummed
in a different party days away
a whole parish brightly lit & unadorned
crossed only by rows of chairs & skylights in the ceiling
the curator said
it could be a church for a day
following like grapes from the same vine between seasons
family got up
told their best hooting
best hollering
tales
a-man



he was a fighter pilot with me in the war
he kept trying to set me up on dates
our first dance, I slapped him
he skipped the air force class where we learned to land solo
he went AWOL to bring me daffodils
he set me up with the 34 year old nurse
next class he went up by himself and circled four hours cause he couldn’t get down
we had a good marriage
he stole licks off my mint chocolate ice cream when I wasn’t looking
he lived to see his sons flourish
he lived to see their funerals
somehow he landed the damn thing near perfect in a corn field
a man


I explored the old rooms above where mimi & jane
once kenny
once robert
once dave
dreamed
the rooms are decorated
& antique
& handcrafted
mimi lives alone now
up until 80 years
she too held the sky
& flew herself to vermont
one person in a two-seater
for teeth cleanings
here there are wings over doorways
no crosses in sight
a woman

©2015 Lex Vex

No comments:

Post a Comment