Formerly Badass Horrible Poetry

This isn't just a poetry blog. Let's be honest, a lot of what I post is poetry but there are more often than not also postings about short stories. I do try to keep this blog separate from my others and post strictly creative work here. Some of it will be better than others, and much of it is in first or second draft stage when posted. These are raw works, and there will be spelling and grammar troubles at times because I use this blog to gauge what works and what doesn't. I use it as a place to get feedback. That's the reason it is "horrible". Because it's not finished-- And why should it be? We all want feedback but most of us are too afraid to put ourselves out there.

Welcome to my word.

Friday, October 5, 2018

Sinner's Halo Book 1: Weaver of Snares - Chapter 4

 Hey all, its been an absolute century since I last posted, but I finally got over my 
2.5 year writers block and am back at it with editing the first draft of my novel, 
Weaver of Snares. This is still completely in development, but I'm pumped to be 
back at it! There's still a ton of changes to be made. Some plot related, some character 
related, but it feels good to get rid of a lot of the sloppy writing I did back in my freshman 
year of highschool. Enjoy!
-L
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So take me back, I have lost the path

I need to recover this life you lead

Sing when I'm broken and I'll sing when I'm free

Sing for the world and then sing just for me

  - Lucy Schwartz Life in Letters
Chapter 4: Mind Exorcise

   † At the end of the hallway, after the bell had sounded, Mr. Will called me back into
 the classroom. Rather than wait for me in the hallway, Dylan followed.
   “Jenna, I just wanted to introduce myself less formally, seeing as how 
I’m going to be your Advisor this year.” I accepted the polite formal handshake,
 ignoring the clamminess of his palm. “I’m sorry I wasn’t here this morning to 
meet you during homeroom—I needed to help Luke Cane with a soccer clinic.”
   “How’d that go by the way? Do you think that with his leg all swollen I might actually 
be able to steal the ball this year?” Said Dylan.
   “Dylan, your brother was lucky he escaped leg necrosis. Its rare to find a poisonous
 snake in the northeast, so just be happy they could treat it.”
   “So what you’re saying is,” Dylan twirled his cane over his shoulder and struck a pose, 
“Maybe?”
   “Strong maybe, leaning towards not likely,” said Mr. Will, turning back towards Me. 
“I trust Ms. Fendever welcomed you this morning in my absence?”
   “Honestly, I didn’t even make it through the door. Bus was late this morning. 
You were flaky, I was flaky, no harm no foul.”
   “No detentions though, I hope?” said Mr. Will. I shook my head. “Good,
 then Professor Lyre didn’t see you."
   His words surprised me. Not because I didn’t think that Lyre could be an asshat,
 but because of the way Mr. Will pronounced “Professor”. There was not a hint of malice,
 or disrespect. He did not skew the word in any way, but said it… well, normally. 
It was the first time I heard anyone say ‘Professor Lyre’ without rolling their eyes. 
After the way those two had argued earlier in the classroom, I figured that Mr. Will 
would be one of the teachers loudly reducing his majesty’s status.
   “Anyway, shouldn’t you two be off to sports about now?” Mr. Will said, interrupting
 my thoughts. Dylan checked his watch and swore.
   “Two minutes to bell – and no time to suit up. Thanks a lot, Mr. Willie.” Dylan said, 
grabbing my hand and sprinting, with lilting steps, down the hall. When we made it out 
the doors I forced Dylan to slow down by grabbing one of his hands and swinging it lazily 
along with a slower pace.
   “You signed up for swim team like I told you to, right?” Dylan said, occasionally using 
his cane to kick acorns like golf balls as we walked.
   “Aren’t tryouts today?” I asked, feeling a hollow form in my stomach.
   “Jenna, tryouts were during orientation, which you skipped – didn’t you send them a 
form or talk to them or something?” He must have seen my panic stricken face, because 
then he said, “They probably already put you in field hockey like your last highschool. 
Probably 3rds because of the no try-out thing.”
I pulled my schedule from my bag, and scanned the list. Down at the bottom of row, 
every day except for Friday, had been typed the words, Mind Exorcises.
   “Ah crap.” Dylan said, crinkling my schedule and changing direction.
   “Crap? What’s crap? Is it physical fitness for the uncoordinated? Weights all day 
every day?”
   Dylan scoffed at me. “Worse,” he said. “You aren’t really in a sport at all.”
   “That’s it?” I caught up to Dylan who was moving around too quickly again. “That’s 
not so bad. I guess I’ll be sad I missed fall field season, but I’ll always have basketball.”
   “That’s not what I’m saying.” Dylan turned the corner around the only blocky boring 
building on campus. Its red 70s brick exterior stuck out from the sculptural excitement 
of the others. “Just because you aren’t in a sport doesn’t mean you have a free period 
at the end of the day.” He pulled me inside the door without going in himself, and turned 
to speak.
   “ Congrats and welcome to hell. Mind exorcises are ‘classes’ taught by Crazy Lyre. Only 
people who take it either have an unavoidable health condition, hate breaking a sweat or 
forgot  to sign up for something. Swim coach lets me sit on the side or paddle around if I 
feel ill just cause she knows how bad this class is. Liv should be here somewhere though. 
She is B-Ball or nothing this year.” Dylan squeezed my hand before stepping out the door.
 “Good luck,” he mouthed, before walking away.
I grimaced and waved. With trepidation I  advanced into the inner sanctum of the 
building. Inside I found one of the decked out theaters I’d ever seen in a school. 
The stage was gargantuan, and for the moment, unoccupied. Plaster casts of Cherubs
 decorated the walls and ceiling while vignettes were carved around the well-hidden 
speakers and light fixtures. An an enormous catwalk hung above the stage, which 
was lit and hiding behind a monstrous burgundy curtain. I was so busy looking up that
 I tripped over the edge of a step and found myself having a staring contest with a 
deep, dark hole: if it hadn’t been for the short barrier in front, I would have fallen 
straight into an orchestra pit so big it could have fit the entire national orchestra.
   Turning back, I scanned the rows of seats on the main level for Liv; the seating did not
 just stop at the orchestra level. No, the seating rose through not one but two higher 
balconies, both of which receded out of sight to the back of the building. Spotting Liv was
 going to be harder than Dylan had led me to believe.I eventually found her at the back of
 the third floor balcony, slouched in a chair with her feet up and listening to a red ipod-nano. 
She saw me and lazily waved me over to the seat next to her. Plopping myself down, I hitched
 my own feet up on the seatback in front of me. Liv handed over an earbud blasting some 
Panic!  as a boy with rust colored hair walked up the steps.
   He locked eyes with Liv, swore under his breath, and gave her a pointed look. “Tomorrow?”
 He said. Less of a question and more of a fact.
   “Deal. Now go back downstairs before we all get caught, O’Conner,” Said Liv.
   “Fine.” The boy started back down the stairs but paused on the second step. “Whose 
your new friend Canto?”
   “Her name is Jenna, she should be in field hockey, now get your ass downstairs, Gael, 
before class starts and we all get in trouble.”
   “Nice to meet you Jenna.” Said Gael, sounding less than thrilled to be introduced, before 
hopping down the spiral stairs 2 at a time.
    “The hell was that about?” I asked.
    Liv dropped her voice as a door opened from the back of the stage.
“We take turns slacking up here. All Mondays for the whole year are ours now. If we’re
 lucky, we can snag Wednesdays too,” Liv pointed down the steps after Gael. “We can’t 
sit here all the time though - we have to take turns playing seat fillers to the Prof’s
 performances on our off days so other people can goof off.” The confusion on my face must 
have shown, because Liv continued. “We’re not technically supposed to be up here. 
Crazy Lyre never checks attendance but he’d notice if his captive audience suddenly 
stopped showing up entirely.”
    “What? You mean he notices things other than potatoes?”
Liv flipped her long braids dramatically behind her. “I mean, it doesn’t hurt that 
I am the most glamourous couch potato of them all. By the way, are you confused
 slash wondering about anything else? Splendidus Stultus can be bonkers. I am a 
professional high school tour guide. I got them deets.”
   “Nah, school is school no matter how you dress it up. I am curious about the dirt on a 
few people around here though.”
   “Ooooo, I see where this is going. So who is he?” asked Liv, a sudden gleam in her eyes.
“No.”
“She? They?”
   “Not where I was going, but thanks for the inclusive pestering. It’s just… where are 
they getting all the money for the extra curriculars around here? And, uh, what’s the deal
 between Mr. Felis and Crazy Lyre? Is there any drama to watch out for? With Luke and
 Dylan at school, I mean. What’s Asher’s deal anyway? He said he’s 19 already? And 
what—“ An obnoxiously loud, off-key clang reverberated around the room. “—Is that god 
awful sound?”
   “That, would be Crazy Lyre,” she paused at a particularly screechy pitch. “Playing what I 
think is supposed to be a trumpet.” She stood up and peered inconspicuously over the railing. 
“Ah, yup, I was right. It’s a trumpet.” She confirmed. "So I told you before, the arts budget 
comes out of all the other extra-curriculars. Strangely it’s not like we get to use anything 
they buy though. In art class we bring our own pencils. We’ve never done an official school 
musical or a show in here, just outside on the green, and sometimes they get rained out. 
People avoid this room as much as possible.”
   I suddenly realized that the stage must look so new and shiny because no one ever HAD
 used it…
   “I mean, we have a drama club, and they’re pretty good, but they have one small rehearsal
 space in the basement blackbox. Supposedly, the fall play has finally gotten permission to be 
performed in there.” Liv shrugged, “Must be time for a donar to fund Lyre an even bigger 
eyesore if we are suddenly allowed to use it.” She paused to turn up the music on her iPod 
so it blocked out the worst of the trumpet. “What was that next thing?”
   “Drama, Luke and Dylan, or Asher being an old man?”
   “19 isn’t that old! He’s barely a year and a half older than me.”
   “Spoken like someone who’s got it bad for a Senior Citizen.”
   “Oh my god, shut up… He’s real oblivious anyway. You can’t tell me you don’t crush on 
any of our boys. Since summer ended I swear Luke has grown in all the right places.”
   “None of them are bad looking by any means, but I wouldn’t propose this second or 
anything. Besides, the twins are practically brothers to me, and I barely know Asher.”
   Liv smiled impishly. “So you admit you think they’re hot?”
   “I think you’re hot too but I’m not about to date you either.”
   “Only cause I’m straight,” Liv stuck out her tongue and grinned at me.
   “Yeah, cause that’s totally the only reason I think of you as just a friend. You got me,
 that’s how bisexuality works.” I rolled my eyes.
   “Well if you know what’s good for you, you’ll stay away from Luke. He’s mine, even if 
he doesn’t know it yet!” Liv had risen out of her seat and glared down at me, teeth bared.
 I raised my eyebrows and Liv burst into a fit of silent laughter.
   “You should’ve seen your face, I totally had you for a second. Priceless.”
   “You are so weird, Liv. Shocking as it may be, I’m just here to graduate high school 
and not get kicked out. Friends are a plus. Dating is optional, though it would beat sitting 
at home with my sisters every night.”
   “I guess.”
Liv unzipped her bag and pulled out a huge pack of M&Ms. She grabbed a handful and 
offered them to me. Liv’s mouth was half full of chocolate, she asked, “I have a question 
for you - Do you know what happened to Luke’s leg?”
   I sighed. Luke had mentioned it almost in passing after a week holed up in bed.
“Over the summer he tripped or something, landed on a snake den and got bitten.
 He claims the snake wasn’t THAT poisonous, but he was still off his feet for over a 
week. Happened while you were at Comp Sci camp.”
   “Not that poisonous?” Liv said, incredulously. “The hell does that mean. Did he say where
 he fell?”
   “It was near that creepy old house. You know, the one on Amica St.? Their Uncle lives on
 the corner at Sanguis Drive. Luke was headed over there I think. He’s been keeping the 
snake bite on the DL though cause he wants to start this season.”
    “Or because the Church Townies are notoriously superstitious,” Liv said, throwing another
 handful of M&Ms in her mouth. “Probably say that the ghosties stole his soul or some shit
 like that.” I perked up. It was embarrassing to admit, but I’d always been intrigued by the 
concept of ghosts… and I liked urban spelunking and posting the pictures on ghost hunting
forums.
   “Do you think it’s haunted?” Jenna perked up, more interested now.
   “Yeah, if ghosts existed, which they don’t. It’s just some dirty abandoned house that’s 
falling apart and has a flair for melodramatic legends.”
   “What legends?” I’d done research on the area half a dozen times but always considered 
the Florin Hill Manor too close to my own backyard to be interested. If I got caught trespassing,
 I wanted to be an out-of-towner.   
   “How do you not know this? Aren’t you supposed to be the ghost whisperer or something? 
I’ve seen those tabs open on your computer all the time,” said Liv, cringing at the loudest blair
 of the trumpet yet from below.
“I missed one, so sue me.”
“Well, Slacker, story goes that the happy couple that built the place a hundred and fifty 
years ago died there. A hot piece of ass showed up, asked to spend the night and as
 shitty newly-wed husbands do, he done-did the deed. When they hooked up his wife 
walked in. That’s where the story gets a little muddled.”
   “If she murdered them I’d call it moderately justified,” I said.
   “I mean, yeah that’s one version. Another says that the man killed himself in the woods,
 the wife made it out, and the woman basically took the house and lived there till she croaked.
 There’s also this really crappy novel about it that ignored bloodshed altogether and jumped 
straight into Threesum City.”    
   I raised an eyebrow. “I’m guessing it was written by a man?”
   “How did you know?” Liv smirked. “Anyway, my favorite ending is the one that Mr. Felis told
 during orientation-- which you missed by the way, you bum.”
   “I wasn’t feeling being the only Junior in a sea of freshmen, so sue me.” I’d been to more 
orientations than most people have in their entire lives. Last thing I wanted was to become 
house mom to a bunch of 14-year-olds.
   “Well,” said Liv, finally having swallowed the latest mouthful of chocolate, “If you had been
 there you would’ve heard how when the wife found her husband getting jiggy with their guest,
 she cursed him and turned around to leave. The beautiful lady transformed into a succubus
 and slit her throat on the spot. Did the same to Mr. Fidelity when he tried to save his wife. 
Legend says she’s still haunting the grounds, ready to kill anyone who sets foot on it.”  
Liv popped a few more M&M’s into her mouth. Below us, the blaringly off-key notes of the 
“trumpet” had been replaced with what I assumed was a banjo. Peeking over the edge, 
I was surprised to see the crazy little man sitting at was an old piano greatly in need of tuning.
   “Its not that creepy,” I said. "Last year I snuck into this old Asylum and I swear the never 
bothered cleaning up after the patients. Stuff just smearing the walls -"
Liv cut me off. “Ew. The mansion legend is plenty spooky for me. Though it does seem 
like something spread by the housing authority to stop people from breaking into a 
condemned building. I guess a lot of people are freaked out by the gargoyles out front and
 the clockface on the front of the building. It’s the only one I’ve ever seen with thirteen
 numbers.” Thirteen numbers? That was weird. Might make for a good photoshoot...
   “Well,” I said, taking a few more M&M’s from the bag. “Maybe we could check the old place
 out this weekend. Friday maybe. We could all go, split up, get you some alone time with one 
of your boys, while I get some pics for the blog.”
   “I don’t know…” Liv stiffened and she hastily said, “Luke never liked bringing up the 
mansion, and that was before this summer. I doubt he'd be into talking about the mansion
let alone go back anywhere near it…”
   “I bet Dylan would go. And maybe we could talk Asher into it--" I said, dangling Asher in 
front of her like bait on a hook.
   “True. You know? That could actually be cool… double date time!”
   “Er, well, I guess you could call it that,” I said. I hadn’t really thought through what Liv might
 call it if we ended up wandering around in pairs.
   “Hey, you said a date would be better than hanging with your sisters for another weekend.
 Destiny clearly just knocked.” Liv said, guessing what I was thinking. “We’ll ask the guys 
tomorrow at lunch—no wait, Luke will be there… How about I ask Asher during history, and
 you ask Dylan when you get the chance.”
   “Ok” I relented. It was just one date, not a weird thing to do with your friends on the
 weekend. The bell rang, adding to the cacophony of sound as the final minor chord was 
played on the piano far below, sounding anything but harmonious. †

Next Chapter
 First Chapter 
Previous Chapter 

No comments:

Post a Comment